Memories of Evelyn Miller

This blog is dedicated to the memory of our granddaughter, Evelyn Celeste Miller. Evey went missing July 1st and her body was recovered July 6th from the Cedar River near Floyd, Iowa. This venue will help celebrate the wonder that she was and also post up-to-date information on the wait for justice. If you have any information about the crime please contact the Floyd County Sheriff's Office at 1-641-228-1821 or e-mail me directly.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Letters to the Editor - Waterloo Courier

Evelyn's Stories at the Waterloo Courier.
Thanks go out this week to the Waterloo Courier and its sister papers in Iowa for covering Evey's story in such detail. The following are two letters that they received from their readers.

KATHY FRANK MASON CITY --- I just read your coverage on the Evelyn Miller story and I was so impressed. I have read each and every word regarding this case, and your story was the best. That little girl deserved better, and she deserved more protection from every single adult in her life than she got. DHS and the governor all dropped the ball. Had this been my granddaughter I would have been relentless with my complaints. I would have been sitting on their desk demanding something be done. I have had quite a bit of experience with DHS regarding my own grandchildren. Again, I commend you on a piece very well written.

I pray Evelyn has peace now and the routine that any child her age deserves --- and safe sleep, which I doubt she had ever had before.

Keep up the great work!

TERESA TYLER - ALLISON --- As I read the cover story on Evelyn Miller (Oct. 9), I began to think of how America has become a very tolerant place. It was sad to read how neighbors, family members, the community itself, ignored red flags about this little girl's plight. Even though they knew the circumstances of her living situation, no one questioned it.

Why have we become this way? It was true when Hillary Clinton said, "It takes a village to raise a child." Only those who witnessed Evelyn Miller's life can reveal the true happenings in this terrible case. Guilt can only overwhelm those who never spoke up, followed through or voiced opinion about the life of Evelyn Miller. You will hear angry accusations from those who probably feel the most guilty.

How is it we have become tolerant and ignore signs of trouble? That's an answer only a human being can supply of themselves. So I say to all of us, what's your personal human stance on tolerance? What as human beings shall we tolerate?